Wednesday, April 16, 2014

First Try

Last week I baked a cake and decorated it with rainbows because I like colourful things. First I covered the cake with blue buttercream icing. This is the recipe I used for the buttercream:


1 cup salted butter
4 cups icing sugar
3 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp half and half cream
(I doubled the recipe)
In the end the consistency was perfect.








Then, using tip #32, I piped around the top and bottom of the cake using white icing.
Then, I made the rest of the colours of the rainbow ( red, orange, yellow, green, and purple icing).
The first time I tried to make red icing I accidentally used pink food colouring. I then added more red food colouring and a bit of cocoa to get that perfect shade of red. 
Then, also using tip#32, I piped the rainbows on the cake.
I also added clouds around the rainbows.
Having so many colours was a bit of a pain because I had to keep switching the tip from bag to bag and washing it out in between, but pretty happy with the end result.




Tip: When you take your cake out of the oven and put it on the cooling rack, tent aluminum foil over it to keep it from drying out.

No comments:

Post a Comment