Thursday, May 22, 2014

Final Project

At my last cake decorating class, we each brought a cake (already iced) to decorate for our final project.        

First, we learned how to make ribbon roses. We put a piece of sticky tack on the flower nail and put a square piece of parchment paper on it. You could also use a dot of icing to stick the parchment paper on, but sticky tack is less messy. Next we piped a base for our flower using stiff consistency icing with tip# 12. Then, we switched to tip #104. When using this tip, hold it so the wider end is at the bottom.  Then we stuck the tip into the base and started squeezing. As we squeezed, we pulled out, and wrapped it around. 




Next,  we started a little lower and, holding the bag in one spot, piped while turning the flower nail to make the first row. Then, we piped two more rows each lower than the previous one, and angled out a little more. 




My cake decorating instructor also showed us how to make flowers called sweet peas. Using tip #104, hold the bag so the wide end of the tip is touching the cake. As you start to squeeze, lift the bag slightly of the surface and then back again without changing position. Then make two more pedals, positioning the bag a little to the left and right of the first pedal.



For my cake, I piped vines, using thin consistency green icing. Then I added sweet peas and a few leaves. Right at the point where the vines all started, I added 3 of my best ribbon roses. Then I just put some leaves around them. For the border of my cake, I piped shells in medium consistency blue icing. 






No comments:

Post a Comment